As most of you know, I have been very enthusiastic these past 4 months about combining 2 concepts into one diet plan. The first concept is intermittent fasting and the second concept is ketogenic diets and supplements. You’ve surely seen quite a bit about these topics on the news and in social media. Many celebrities are touting these dieting strategies, including Halle Berry and Jenna Jameson.
These have both become very hot topics in 2018. I get Google articles on my phone about both of these daily. I just read a blog by a Dr. Pedre who has “created” what I have already been advocating for months – his “Cyclitarian Diet”. This is my intermittent fasting combined with being ketogenic. The only difference is that I did not give my diet a name!
Let’s explore the logic behind my diet. There are a huge number of benefits to intermittent fasting. Intermittent fasting basically means no food or calories for between 12 and 18 hours.
What are the benefits of intermittent fasting?
- Burn fat
- Live longer
- Increased brain health
- Reverse Type 2 diabetes and restore insulin sensitivity.
- Decreased side effects from chemotherapy
And the benefits of a Ketogenic diet?
The list keeps growing and there is good scientific evidence to support all of these claims. By the way, I recommend the Ketogenic Bible, which you can buy through Amazon, if you want to read a great book on this topic. I read it and I learned a great deal. It is scientific but very easy to read.
- Increased brain function – increased memory, cognition, clarity, better seizure control, fewer migraines
- Possibly fights some cancers – brain cancers namely
- Prevent heart disease – decreased blood pressure, lower TG, better cholesterol profiles (increased HDL
- Also changes your LDL cholesterol from small (which is the bad form) to large LDL (which is benign). I personally would suggest that it is better to try and get more of your healthy proteins and fats from plant sources and wild caught fish eg salmon, rather than animal sources.
- Improved acne, arthritis, psoriasis, eczema, IBS, etc
- Increased energy and sleep
- Decreased uric acid levels – helps gouts and kidney function
- Better GI and gallbladder health
- Helps with a large number of neurologic diseases eg seizures and also metabolic disorders
- Stabilizes hormones for women and increased fertility.
- Helps prevent cataracts
- Increased muscle and better endurance
- Increased insulin sensitivity, decreased and potentially curing type 2 diabetes, helps with Type 1 diabetes control
- Increase fat burning especially visceral fat. So weight loss due to fat loss and muscle preservation
- Decreased appetite
Why the ketogenic supplements?
Simply put, they allow you to enter ketosis immediately, without having to do a ketogenic diet for the 4-5 days normally required to enter ketosis. The ketogenic supplements immediately put ketone bodies into your bloodstream.
My diet essentials:
- A 12-16 hour fast (drink water or herbal tea or coffee, no sugars added)
- Take a ketone supplement after you wake up and then ideally another ketone supplement 3-5 hours later, if your budget and personal plan allows
- Eat your first meal and stay ketogenic at least until dinner. At dinner, eat healthy and try and be as close to ketogenic as you can. You don’t have to be perfect every meal. The amount of weight you want to lose will determine how strict you need to be.
- When you take a leniency from the diet, use common sense. It is one thing to occasionally have some sushi with rice or a whole wheat roll. It is quite another thing to have a high sugar dessert like donuts etc, which you should try hard to avoid, at least most of the time.
- One final word of caution: all “diet sodas” are terrible for you so avoid them even though they have no carbs or calories!
- Exercise, specifically high intensity exercise, will increase your state of ketosis and your fat loss.
To find out what ketone supplement I am using for myself click here.
Want to discuss the Ketogenic diet in greater detail or other available options for decreasing body fat? Call us at 703-406-2444 to schedule your complimentary, private consultation with me. I’d be happy to help you find the right solution for you!