- Come in for a consult (at no charge!)
- Do not tan or spray tan the area that you plan on doing the tattoo removal for. You can tan other areas of your body; just not immediately around the tattoo.
- Apply numbing cream over the tattoo and cover with Saran wrap 30-45 minutes before your appointment. The Saran wrap increases the absorption of the cream and also prevents it from getting all over your clothes.
- Arrive 5 minutes early to wipe off the numbing cream and any sunblock, lotions or oils that you have on your skin over the tattoo.
- Your Master Esthetician will clean the area.
- The laser treatment begins! Tattoo removal with the Picosure laser is very fast. We use a special cooler that blows cold air onto the area being treated. This greatly decreases any discomfort. For those with a lower tolerance for discomfort, we offer a nitrous oxide inhalation (you can still drive following this), which should make this much easier for you.
- Following the laser treatment, you will need to protect the treated area from the sun. If there is some blistering, which can happen on occasion, simply apply a light dressing to the area if you are out in the sun. Once the area is healed, it should be fine to use sunblock on the area.
- You will want to schedule your next treatment for 6 weeks later. Occasionally, we will alter the interval between treatments, depending on your skin’s response.
It should be noted that it is impossible to predict how many sessions you will need. The fastest tattoo removal that I have seen in my practice is 3 sessions to fully remove a large block tattoo on the forearm. The Picosure laser requires half as many treatments as a regular tattoo removal laser. Generally speaking, a black tattoo will be removed faster than a colored tattoo, and there is a much lower risk of ghosting with the Picosure laser.
Want to discuss options for your skin concerns? Call our office at 703-406-2444 to schedule a private, complimentary consultation!